Today’s news: Wolves take over a Russian town, teen girl sleeps with a tiger, and SHARKS!
Here are some fascinating articles that the humans (and animals ) at Current Instincts are reading today. Did we miss something major? Let us know below or send us an email.
1. Deaf dog adopted by deaf kids after learning sign language. Inmates at a Missouri prison had a genius idea — teach a deaf dog sign language to increase his odds of finding a home. And it worked! A dachshund named Sparky was adopted out to the Missouri School for the Deaf where he is a total rock star. (Reuters)
2. 400 hungry wolves overrun Siberian town of 1,300. Ridiculously cold temperatures — we’re talking -56.3 degrees Fahrenheit — in a small Russian town have created an unnaturally large pack of wolves. These animals are struggling to find food and as a result, they are ganging up on the town’s horses. We hear humans are their next target. (io9.com)
3. Tiger mom? Teen girl sleeps with pet tiger. Seventeen-year-old Felicia Frisco has raised Will, a Bengal Tiger, since his birth, and the now 6-month-old tiger sleeps in bed with the teenager. “My friends think it’s really cool that I have a pet tiger because most of them only have a cat or dog,” Felicia said. That’s great, sweetie, we REALLY love tigers, too — but have you ever heard of what happened to Roy? (ABC News)
4. Shark attacks hit 10-year high. SHARKS! The number of shark attacks went up last year, making it the highest number of attacks in a decade. The cause? More people are swimming in the oceans so it’s like shooting fish in a barrel — only the fish are humans. Glad we’re making it easy for them. (LiveScience)
5. Animals make friends, too. Human-like friendships exist among at least five different animals. Elephants, dolphins, bats, some carnivores, and certain non-human primates all have the ability to maintain buddies in highly social environments. Can we get them a Facebook, please? (Discovery News)